Thursday, February 14, 2008

Let's go to the Movies

As we approach the Oscars this year, I was looking at the list of nominees in the various categories, and I realized that other than "3:10 to Yuma" (excellent movie btw) for best score, and "Transformers" (another good movie) for best sound editing, I have not seen a single movie being nominated for anything. Perhaps that is because I have become more of a DVD junkie, perhaps it is because I am cheap, or perhaps it is because I have kids and don't go to the movies like I used to. There are movies nominated that I really want to see....but none that when they came out made me say "I have to see that in the theatre".


This got me to thinking. Thinking about how we all see a movie, and when it's over we say "that is going on my top 10 list". The kind of movie where you stay until the final credit has roled, and talk about it the whole ride home. But has anyone ever put together their top 10 list? I have been working on mine for years, but unlike Ross from "Friends" with his "Top 10 famous women he get's a free pass with" list, I have refused to laminate it. Lamination is so permanent. And as time goes by, I'm sure certain movies will bump others off the list. I can say however that my top 2 have stayed true since I put them there.



With that said, and hours of difficult decision making and hard work put in by my crack research team, I have completed the list. It is an interesting list. I am the kind of guy who would say "Ghandi" and "Dumb and Dumber"were both great movies. But I hated Ghandi, and Dumb and Dumber came in at #11. That is my range as a movie goer. So I thought I would share my list with all of you, along with a brief summary of each movie. If you have not seen any of the ones on the list, maybe you can try one next time you hit the local video store, or see it on TV. I was a little surprised by the genre's of the films. 1 comedy and 1 musical made the list. The rest were drama. Anyway (drumroll please)....I give you "THE LIST"


10: West Side Story (Musical adaptation of Romeo and Juliet set in New York City, where rival street gangs (the Jets and the Sharks) battle for territory and respect. Is the love affair between former Jets leader Tony, and Maria, sister to Sharks' leader Bernardo, doomed to failure? )


9: Harts War (A law student becomes a lieutenant during World War II, is captured and asked to defend a black prisoner of war falsely accused of murder.)


8: A Christmas Story (Ralphie has to convince his parents, teachers, and Santa that a Red Ryder BB gun really is the perfect gift for the 1940's)


7: The Departed (Two men from opposite sides of the law are undercover within the Massachusetts State Police and the Irish mafia, but violence and bloodshed boil when discoveries are made, and the moles are dispatched to find out their enemy's identities)


6: Crash (Several stories interweave during two days in Los Angeles involving a collection of inter-related characters)


5: Gladiator (When a Roman general is betrayed and his family murdered by a corrupt prince, he comes to Rome as a gladiator to seek revenge.)


4: Goodfellas (This film views the mob lives of three pivotal figures in the 1960's and 70's New York. )


3: Unforgiven (Retired Old West gunslinger William Munny reluctantly takes on one last job, with the help of his old partner and a young man.)


2: Raiders of the Lost Ark (Renowned archeologist and expert in the occult, Dr. Indiana Jones, is hired by the U.S. Government to find the Ark of the Covenant, which is believed to still hold the ten commandments.)


1: Scarface (In 1980 Miami, a determined Cuban immigrant takes over a drug empire while succumbing to greed)


Honorable Mention (in no particular order)

Blood Diamond, Saving Private Ryan, The Outsiders, Dances With Wolves, Dumb and Dumber, Gone Baby Gone, Tommy Boy, Million Dollar Baby.

So there you have it. Please feel free to share your own list, agree, or disagree, with a choice, or just ignore this whole site in general. That's probably what I would do.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did Napoleon Dynamite and Anchorman not crack the top 10??

Tracy said...

I'm guessing that Miller left the first comment (by anonymous).

I either don't like or haven't seen any on your top 10 list (I guess A Christmas Story is ok. I'm shocked it made it on your list). I am also shocked that West Side Story made it on your list. The others don't surprise me.