Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hometown Politics

Let me ask all of you a question. If someone does not agree with you on a certain issue, are they a bad person, or are they a person with a voice, just like you? I know my answer. And I believe I know what the majority of you would say. Unfortunately, there are those living among us who do not share this same philosophy. It is either their way or the wrong way, that is it. I love Anderson Township. I have lived here all my life and I plan on keeping it that way. I can’t think of a better place I would want to raise my family. The residents are good, decent people who, for the most part, care about their neighbors. This is a community that would come together and help total strangers if need be. Sadly though, there is one area that divides us greatly, and that is Politics. It is not sad because people believe in different sides. That is actually one of the things that make this nation so great. It is sad because during the recent election, ignorance and hatred took over political opinion, and that is lose-lose for everyone.
One of the most abused amendments in this country is the freedom of speech. Since when does putting a sign in your place of business that not only lies about someone, but attacks their race and their religion, become an acceptable platform for expressing your constitutional right? Since when does writing letters to the editor calling everyone idiots for voting the wrong guy into office equal respecting your fellow man/woman’s right to their own opinion? Since when does saying things like “I hope Obama gets assassinated,” and “it is called the White House for a reason,” represent caring for one another? These are all things I have seen and heard in Anderson over the past few weeks, and I have to say….I find it disgusting.
If you want to place a sign in your place of business showing support for a certain candidate, by all means do it. We all do it. But don’t insult the rest of us by doing so. If you want to display your dis-satisfaction with a candidate, do it, but have your facts straight. Do you think the owner of that business knows that Barrack Obama is not even a Muslim, he is a Christian? Or do you think he just doesn’t care? And what if he was a Muslim? What’s the point? Islam is the second largest religion in the world. So when you portray someone as a Muslim terrorist, the message I am getting is that they think ALL Muslims are terrorists. Considering there are over 2.5 billion practicing Muslims, this claim is not only ignorant, it is completely absurd. It is on a level of disrespect to not just Muslims, but all people of faith, that can’t be explained. But karma is a funny thing, and my guess is that the sales for that business will reflect that in the future.
Here’s one that totally caught me off guard: “It is called the White House for a reason.” Do I really need to discuss what is wrong with that statement? I didn’t think so.
How about “He is not our first African American President, he is our first bi-racial President.” I love how some people want to get all technical and try to take away anything they can from Obama. Again, look at the facts. Considering his Father is from Africa and his Mother is from America, I would say that makes him our first African American President in every sense of the word.
The intent of this article is not to praise President-elect Obama. It is to point out that we should be ashamed of ourselves for allowing this kind of behavior. Had John McCain won, I have no doubt people would be doing the same thing to him, and it would be just as wrong. This is bigger than Republican and Democrat, black and white. This is about respect and hoping for the best for our country. So your guy didn’t win, sorry about that. But rather than spending enormous amounts of energy trying to convince everyone of what a horrible mistake we made, how about getting behind your country and rooting him on to succeed. The way I see it is if President-elect Obama fixes this country, we all win in some shape or form. It is going to take a while for him to correct all of the failed policies of the past eight years. But until he screws up, give him the benefit of the doubt. When President Bush was elected, it was not what I wanted at the time. But I hoped and prayed that he would make the place I love great. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until he screwed up. This is about being an American and wanting the United States of America restored to it glorious position among nations. Maybe you don’t think he can do it. And maybe he can’t. We won’t know that for a while. But stop using the “he has no experience” card. There is only one thing that qualifies you to be President, and that is actually BEING President. Bill Clinton and George Bush didn’t have badges that said “qualified to be President.” The experience comes from doing the job.
The post election edition of the Forest Hills Journal had a section displaying people’s reaction to the election. I was one of those people. Along with me, 2 other’s said they were going to back Obama. Basically saying what I am here. He is my President and I am behind him until he gives me a reason not too. I found this a bit strange considering Anderson Township is not known for its strong Democrat support. However, I have to say I was amused by the one individual who was not to happy with the results. The fact that he said he didn’t, and still does not want Obama as his President didn’t bother me. That is him voicing his opinion. It was how he listed inaccurate and biased information supporting his thoughts. He said that the Mean spirited attacks on John McCain by Barrack Obama will not be forgotten. If he wants to remember all of the ad’s and dwell on them, that is his right. But please don’t write a letter insulting our intelligence. Not only did BOTH sides run negative campaign ad’s, but every poll I could find before writing this letter shows America believes McCain ran a dirtier campaign. So to try and spin it thinking the rest of us missed all of those ads is not only biased, but it is simply incorrect. Then again, the author of that letter has made it no secret on he feels about people associated with the dreaded “D” word.
Think about it. If someone does not agree with your views, respect them for that. You are not right and vice versa. We all have a voice and we should use it. But in the process don’t try and quiet someone else’s. Of course this is all just my opinion, and like anything else in life, I could be wrong.

No comments: